If you’re still emailing to transfer files while owning an iPhone, you’re still not there yet. And if you’re doing that, stop right away because you can use Airdrop instead to transfer photos and videos.
What Is Airdrop?
Airdrop feature allows photo sharing among Apple devices over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Not just photos, Airdrop allows you transfer of almost anything that is shareable, and that too wirelessly such as you can Airdrop a website or text from Notes. The Airdrop feature works only among Apple devices but it is fast, safe and easy to set up.
The Airdrop feature can also hold information like contact information, playlist or any location pinned on Apple Map. There isn’t a limit for the size of the file being transferred but obviously the bigger the file, the more time it will take to transfer. If you’re still not using Airdrop on your iPhone, you’re definitely missing out.
How Does Airdrop Works?
The Airdrop feature creates a peer to peer Wi-Fi network among the devices by using Bluetooth. Around the connection, a firewall is created by each device and files are sent encoded making it more secure than transferring files via mail. Airdrop can automatically detect nearby devices, and for the devices to create a good Wi-Fi connection, they need to be close enough.
How To Use Airdrop On An Ios Device?
To use Airdrop, both the devices sending and receiving files must be Apple devices with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on. If either of the devices has Personal Hotspot enabled, that should be turned off or else the Airdrop feature cannot work. The same is for VPN, i.e. Airdrop does not works with VPN.
Moreover, it is not necessary for both the devices to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or any specific one. Just connected to a Wi-Fi network is enough for the Airdrop to work.
- Launch Control Panel by sliding up from the bottom bezel of your IPhone’s screen.
- Long press on the Wi-Fi button until it turns into wireless connection rectangle. Now, tap on Airdrop.
- Following three options will appear
- RECEIVING OFF: doesn’t allow receiving of Airdrop requests
- CONTACTS ONLY: allows only your contacts to see your device
- EVERYONE: allows all nearby iOS devices using Airdrop to see your device
To turn Airdrop on, tap on Contacts Only or Everyone.
How To Airdrop Files?
Files shared through airdrop will automatically appear in the app that typically handles that sort of files.
- Navigate the file you’d like to share with Airdrop.
- Tap the Share button.
- All the nearby Airdrop enabled Apple devices will be shown. Tap on the one you want to share the file with.
- Tapping on the selected person or device will start sharing the file with the recipient who will then be asked to whether or not accept the Airdrop from you. The file can only be sent to the recipient only if they accept sharing.
Thanks to Security Cameras Charlotte for this awesome article!